I am officially reporting that we have received the highest number of applications since N100 began in 2013, that is, 44 in all! The quality and competitiveness is outstanding and we would like to thank all of the startups who accepted this year’s challenge. Here are some statistical highlights from this stellar group of 2018 N100 applicants:
- A 60:40 digital/physical split (with physical including hardware/software)
- 11% were local (from Northumberland) with the balance mostly from the Greater Toronto Area, but from as far away as Quebec and Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- 32% identified as women-led (almost double the number of startups with female founders reported by TechCrunch in 2017).
The first round scoring criteria is equally weighted across four elements:
- Technology and innovation-driven core competitive advantage.
- Business viability and scalability with large, addressable markets.
- Strength of founder team (track record, leadership and ability to get things done).
- Potential for presence and impact in Northumberland.
Stay tuned for the announcement of our Top 8 N100 Evolution Semi-Finalists at the end of the month. They will each win software sponsorships from MathWorks and Budgeto, and will get a chance to pitch to our Power Panel, chaired by Northumberland Angel, Paul Godin, at the N100 Pitch Contest live event at Venture13 in Cobourg, on September 13, 2018. Three will advance to Board Room presentations this fall, with winner(s) to be announced in November. For the public, you can get your tickets for the N100 Pitch Contest now via Eventbrite (click here) which will include one ballot for the all new Audience Choice Best Pitch Award, a $2,500 take-home prize for one of the Top 8 Semi-Finalists, sponsored by CCO Productions.
John Hayden, for the N100 Team.